Tuesday 13 April 2010

Gymtastic


I don't know about you, but I find the thought of my new studio space ever being a gym quite hard to imagine.

At my school, the gym was housed in a 70s pre- fab box so ugly that it would have made Le Corbusier weep and question his whole raison d'ĂȘtre.

So the idea of hundreds of children doing push ups and star jumps in a Victorian vaulted hall, filled with decorative tiles and classical mouldings seems slightly odd.

However, there are still a few pieces of evidence to prove its former usage.

The floor is marked out with a fully sized badminton court. Always fun for those who like a shuttlecock.

gymdetail1


The floors are scattered with metal repositories for nets and other equipment.

gymdetail2


Heavy duty hooks on the ceiling, presumably to hang ropes off of. (How I hated climbing up ropes - those rope burns on your thighs after sliding down were pure evil).

gymdetail3

And finally, a place to put the school flag. I must admit I am tempted to fly a personalized flag from these. But that's just a hop skip and jump away from having your own coat of arms designed and putting a monogram on every shirt that you own, and I'm not quite at that stage. Yet.


gymdetail4


I wonder if my childhood gym was as inspiring as this I would have been more excited about PE class. Probably not, but at least I might be able to cartwheel properly. And this space certainly makes me want to do cartwheels...

No comments:

Post a Comment